The United States Food and Drug Administration reported that a total of 14 individuals from nine different states have been infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella. No cases have been reported in Maine at this time.
“Links to FDA advice are the most significant source of timely updates. The Maine Department of Agriculture has monitored recalls in other states since the initial outbreak in early April. Products sold in Maine were in included in the expanded recall issued on May 7, 2012,” said Steve Giguere, Acting Director of the Division of Quality Assurance & Regulations. Salmonella is potentially a very serious illness to pets and pet owners.
Human health concerns that might be associated with the potentially contaminated pet food should be reported to Dr. Stephen Sears at the Maine Center for Disease Control. Pet illnesses should be reported to the Maine Department of Agriculture.
The FDA became involved in early April when Salmonella from an intact package of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Formula for Adult Dogs was collected during retail surveillance sampling collected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. Diamond Pet Foods was notified of the sampling results, and agreed to voluntarily recall the product.
FDA, Center of Disease Control and state investigations are ongoing in an effort to determine if other brands of dry dog food produced at the Diamond Pet Foods' South Carolina facility may be linked to confirmed human illnesses. Consumers should check the company's website, Diamond Pet Foods Recall Information, for information on how to read lot codes and “best by” dates involved in the recall: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health, Taste of the Wild, Apex (distributed only in South Carolina), Kirkland Signature, Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain and Canidae.
Also on the recall list:
- Wellness Complete Health Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy with “best by” dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013 (15 LB bag, 30 LB bag, 5 oz sample bags)
- (Dick Van Patten's) Natural Balance Pet Foods
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog (5 LB, 15 LB and 28 LB)
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog (5 LB, 15 LB and 28 LB)
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog (5 LB, 15 LB and 28 LB)
- Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog (5 LB)
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites (28 LB)
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites (5 LB and 12.5 LB)